Monday, 28 December 2009

2010: A Pronunciation Odyssey

It's the big question of our times and of times. And we have to decide in the next few days. Is next year going to be called Twenty Ten, or is it Two Thousand and Ten? As a personal preference I believe Twenty Ten is better. It's nice and succinct and rolls off the tongue. On the other hand, in twelve months time, I believe we should be calling 2011 Two thousand and Eleven. Twenty Eleven doesn't sound right. It sounds as though it's pre-decimal coinage.

So that will be the policy of this blog. I have held a committee meeting (it's so much easier when I'm the only attendee) and that is my determination. We are about to enter Twenty Ten. Let's hope it's a good one.

Oh and we also have to decide what to call the next decade. The teenies? That sounds like a pre-school television programme. I'm going to have to think about that one and convene another meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are published at the absolute discretion of the owner of this blog, but there is a general presumption towards publication. This is a free speech blog.